1st NIGHT HANDOUT
- Structure: 12-week, proven workout schedule.
- Information: Very basic; speakers, emails, handouts, website.
- Mentors: Resource, inspire, encourage, and support you.
- Smaller Groups: Individual attention & camaraderie.
- Incentive: Earn your graduation shirt (attend 8 out of 12 weeks).
- Goal: 5K walk or run at the NMB Park & Sports Complex
Training Principle: Stress + Rest = Improvement
The “stress” mildly tears your muscles down. If you “rest” or give your body a day to recover or heal, you will heal stronger, better and improved.
What is a “Stress”? Any of the following: going faster, farther or more frequently than before. Other stresses are heat, hills and surfaces (soft like beaches or tall grass) (hard like concrete vs asphalt).
What is a “Rest”? Any of the following: cross-training (different activities – yoga, cycling, swimming, strength training); going slower and/or shorter; a day off from walking or running.
Important: The biggest mistake made by beginners is going too far, too fast, too soon and/or too frequently. Increase only one of the above stresses per week at the most.
- Check in. Your attendance matters. Be sure you get credit!
- Mentor Introductions
- Workout (warm-up + easy/pickup intervals + cool-down)
WHY WALKING & RUNNING? User-Friendly:
- There is no skill involved … left, right, repeat.
- Do it almost anywhere...anytime (keep common-sense safety considerations in mind).
- It’s inexpensive … no club memberships, greens fees or lift tickets.
- Need little equipment … quality shoes (proper fit, durable), jog bra, interval timer.
- You can do it solo … or with friends … or with family … or co-workers … or with a club.
- It’s efficient … running offers you the best workout in the least amount of time (walking requires a little more time for the same effect).
- Incorporate child-care … with baby-joggers, run on a track with children playing in the infield or invite older children to join in!
WHY? Potential Benefits:
- Improved cardio-vascular fitness
- Enhanced muscle tone
- Weight-loss or –maintenance
- Protects against osteoporosis
- Decreases the risk of certain cancers & diabetes
- Stress relief or control (depression)
- Improve self-esteem & confidence
- Provide a social outlet
WHY NOT? Barriers to Entry:
- Lack of athletic experience
- Family responsibilities
- Work responsibilities
- Lack of emotional support or encouragement
- Fear of looking foolish … too uncoordinated or old or fat or slow
- Lack of knowledge or coaching
- Incontinence (Restrooms)
- Do your homework! (Consistency)
- Choose a method to time your workout intervals:
- Phone Apps for Interval Timer
- GYMBOSS Interval Timer. www.GymBoss.com - buy the “PLUS” version
- Sports watch with chrono/stopwatch function
- We meet Rain or Shine (large pavilion available)
- Be on time (arrive at least 5-10 minutes early to park, restroom, hydrate, check-in)
- We welcome new members for next 2 weeks (March 18) … get them started now!
- Wear quality shoes that “fit” to your foot!
- Safety –
- When walking/running on a sidewalk or trail, stay to your right.
- When walking/running on a residential road, stay to your left (going toward traffic).
- Trail/Road Courtesy – be considerate of other people, cyclists, cars, etc. Call out: “Biker back!” or “Car up”, etc.
- Hydrate before, after and maybe during (if walking or running more than ½ hour)
- LISTEN TO YOUR BODY - If you get sore, figure out why and do something! (rest, ice, anti-inflammatory, new shoes, massage) LISTEN TO YOUR BODY and back off – let pain be your guide!
- Store your car key/remote – one key (shoe, pocket, shoestring around neck, fanny pack, wrist, etc.). We have key box on stage for workshop days – use at your own risk.
- Suggestion Box – constructive comments very welcomed.
- Figure out what works for you (time of day, convenience, pleasure, motivations, companions).
- Your First Strides NMB entry provides a free membership to Grand Strand Running Club.
- Website (www.FirstStridesNMB.com) - find Workshop Topics tab on left for handouts.
- Facebook: First Strides NMB (public) or First Strides - North Myrtle Beach (private group for participants & mentors).
- Questions: Email: FirstStridesNMB.email@example.com
Do NOT do too much, too soon, too fast, too frequently!
Click the icon below to download the attached PDF.